An introductory CPD certified course for anyone who works with children who have special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) and additional needs.
Do you need to better identify safeguarding concerns when working with children and young people? It’s not always easy to spot the signs of abuse. In some cases, adults may mistake the indicators of abuse as signs of a child or young person’s disability.
As the UK’s experts on safeguarding, this elearning course will help you to identify safeguarding concerns, communicate effectively with children and young people to help keep them safe and create a safe culture in your school or college.
This course is aimed at education professionals, but the learning is also relevant to people working with children with SEND in other settings.
By the end of the course you’ll be able to:
- identify safeguarding concerns
- understand why children with SEND can be more vulnerable to abuse
- acknowledge that children with SEND can be abused and know how to act on any concerns
- create a safe culture
- communicate creatively with children and young people
- empower children and young people to express their views, needs and opinions
- be responsive to children and young people’s views, needs and opinions
- work with parents and other agencies.
Our online courses will work in most web browsers, although we recommend that you use Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge or Safari. We recommend installing the latest version of your web browser before beginning your course.
Our courses are compatible with most tablet devices, however the NSPCC does not provide full technical support for tablet users. We do not support other mobile devices.
Videos clips hosted on the video sharing site Vimeo feature in some of our courses. Video playback controls will vary and are dependent on the browser used to take the course and where the video is hosted. If you experience problems with the videos then we recommend you try taking the course in a different browser.
Having trouble? Try:
- updating your web browser
- clearing your cache
- accepting our cookies (essential cookies are required for the purposes of undertaking our elearning)
- turning off private browsing
- permitting access to videos on Vimeo
- setting the following web domain to 'trusted': https://mylearning.nspcc.org.uk
Duration: It should take you about 2–3 hours to complete the course.
You will have access to the course for one year following purchase. You can take it as many times as you like in that time.