This online training course is designed for health visitors, midwives and children’s centre staff, who will manage and deliver the Coping with Crying programme to parents.
Coping with Crying is a programme designed to support parents with their baby’s crying and reduce the risk of non-accidental head injuries among babies.
The course provides an overview from the literature on babies and crying, the risks and impact of a baby being shaken or handled roughly and the best practice approach to supporting parents. It introduces the Coping with Crying film, explains how to show it to parents, how to effectively implement the programme and provides access to all programme resources.
The training is broken down into three parts:
- The risks associated with babies that cry excessively
- Advice and guidance on how to support parents and keep babies safe
- Guidance on how to effectively implement the programme and show the film to parents.
The course contains links to the downloadable programme resources, including:
- implementation guidance: step-by-step guide for managers on how to implement the programme
- parent leaflets: summarising the film and signposting to further sources of help for parents
- practitioner script: steps for practitioners to take when showing the film to parents
- programme manual: detailed manual for managers and practitioners on how to deliver the programme to parents
- promotional materials: postcards and posters to help you promote the programme in your context.
Our online courses will work in most web browsers, although we recommend that you use Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge or Safari. We recommend installing the latest version of your web browser before beginning your course.
Our courses are compatible with most tablet devices, however the NSPCC does not provide full technical support for tablet users. We do not support other mobile devices.
Videos clips hosted on the video sharing site Vimeo feature in some of our courses. Video playback controls will vary and are dependent on the browser used to take the course and where the video is hosted. If you experience problems with the videos then we recommend you try taking the course in a different browser.
Having trouble? Try:
- updating your web browser
- clearing your cache
- accepting our cookies (essential cookies are required for the purposes of undertaking our elearning)
- turning off private browsing
- permitting access to videos on Vimeo
- setting the following web domain to 'trusted': https://mylearning.nspcc.org.uk
You will have access to the course for three years following purchase. You can take it as many times as you like in that time.
Certificate of achievement: Once you've successfully completed this course you can download a personalised certificate of achievement.